Saturday, December 24, 2011

When I Think of Research.....

Gaining new insights on the value of conducting research has empowered me in the field of early childhood to participate in critical reflection of my past education and experience and how to apply it to my chosen research study.  I appreciate the approach shared by Mackenzie and Ling on the research journey from the perspective of the ‘supervisee’, “the journey begins with a naïve interest in a topic and over time constructs new knowledge and develops a new voice while the supervisor provides inspiration, knowledge and experience” (2009, p. 48).  From learning the different paradigms that can be used, to complying with ethical standards to analyzing data collection methods, the last eight weeks there has been added value to my knowledge bank and I have an increased understanding of how the research process works. 

I have known that the research process was complex but until I participated in this research college class, I did not understand that the amount of time that is necessary to complete a research study before it can effectively add value and new knowledge to the field; years and sometime decades have been spent completing a research study. Having the flexibility to embrace change during the process is a necessary character trait that can support the success of the research study.  There are several questions that need to stay on the forefront during the complex planning process such as, how will this study impact the field of early childhood?; how will this study impact the participants?; is it possible the results of this study could be misused to support an issue that could negatively affect children and families?; and will the methods chosen support an equal partnership between the researcher and the participants to result in rich data collection?.  Keeping these questions in mind may drive the decision to make necessary changes to the sampling, data collection methods or may even drive the decision to change the design from quantitative or qualitative to a mixed methodology.

The biggest challenge for me during the development of my research simulation was the refinement of my research question.  With my naïve interest in protective factors needed for children to build resiliency to overcome stressors in their little lives, I was getting sidetracked with all the information at hand and losing my focus.  Dr. Terry Davis, was my metaphorical ‘supervisor’ who guided me with her knowledge and experience in the development of a good research question that could produce results to positively support the field of early education.  In addition to the guidance from Dr. Terry Davis, my fellow students and colleagues supported me through the last eight weeks.  I would like to extend my appreciation to each of you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me.
Reference
Mackenzie, N. M., & Ling, L. M. (2009). The research journey: A Lonely Planet approach. Issues in Educational Research, 19(1), 48–60 

2 comments:

  1. Patricia,
    I also struggled greatly with refining my research question. I felt very silly when I would read Dr. Davis' responses to my writing and I had a lot of "oh duh, Trish" moments! I hate that feeling but, however I did learn so much from them! I felt as if I came into this class with little knowledge about anything having to do with research. It has been a great experience for me to learn about research and it's extensive impact on Early Childhood! Best of luck to you, Merry Christmas!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,
    I too have gained so much throughout these past eight weeks. I couldn't agree more with your statement, "Having the flexibility to embrace change during the process is a necessary character trait that can support the success of the research study."

    This course has taught me as much about research as it has about myself. Being flexible to change can be supportive to the success of just about anything we embark upon in life...including research :)

    Thank you so much for all of your insightful input throughout these past several courses. Looking forward to continued studies with you:)

    Peace & Joy to you in the new year!

    CCWhite

    ReplyDelete