Sunday, March 18, 2012

Competent Intercultural Communication

Beebe, Beebe & Redmond define intercultural communication competence as the, “ability to adapt one’s behavior toward another in ways that are appropriate to the other person’s culture” (p. 104, ¶ 3, 2011).  Implementing these strategies suggested by Beebe, Beebe & Redmond to become competent in my communications will hopefully bridge any communication barriers that exist with the culturally diverse people I communicate with on a daily basis.

·    Creating a third culture will combine the perspectives and assumptions from two different cultures to construct a third culture.  The third culture develops over time when people from two different cultures engage in constructive dialogue.  “Developing a third culture mentality can reduce our tendency to approach cultural differences from an “us-versus them” point of view” (p. 107, ¶ 3, 2011).  Bridging the two cultures through the development of a third culture will support a greater understanding of all participants involved.

·    Becoming mindful by using self-talk when I feel uncomfortable about communicating with someone from a different culture.  My innermost thoughts drive my behavior; if I can be positive oriented by being consciously aware of what I am thinking and sensing about my communication I can overcome any discomfort I may be feeling about the situation.  I will be able to avoid any negative judgments and be other-oriented by “considering the other individual’s frame of reference, or worldview, and to use his or her cultural priorities and assumptions” (p. 108, ¶ 2, 2011) when I am communicating.
  • To establish common ground I will want to learn more about the culture and styles of communication from the cultures I am working with.  “Seeking information helps manage the uncertainty and anxiety that we may feel when we interact with people who are different from us” (p. 106, ¶ 1, 2011).  It will take more than just reading books and research on the Internet to learn about a new culture; whenever possible you will want to learn from elders and local community members from the respective culture you want to establish a strong communication connection with.
References
Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

1 comment:

  1. Patricia,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you on how we have to be mindful when making decisions or how we communicate with people of other culture, otherwise we can get ourselves into trouble by saying or doing the wrong thing.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete