Saturday, September 29, 2012

National Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community


As I was exploring jobs I may be interested in on a National level my memory took me back to our Issues and Trends in the Early Childhood Field class which several of us completed about this time last year.  In addition to two job interests on a National level, I investigated membership requirements for the International Step by Step Association.
I remembered the International Step by Step Association because when I first investigated the web site I was impressed with their work towards supporting children to meet their fullest potential on an international level.  In addition to supporting parents as the primary educators of their children, their philosophy also embraces the power of children learning when they are “active participants throughout the learning process” (www.issa.nl).  Being an active participant does not include ‘rote’ teaching therefore my attraction to this philosophy.  To become a member I would need to submit my membership form with the $125 annual fee to receive benefits such as participating on a child advocacy taskforce, professional development books manuals and trainings and information to attend international conferences that support children to thrive.  To become a member of this international organization I would be adding a wealth of resources and experience to my knowledge bank to better support all children and families to reach their fullest potential.
The National organization I investigated is the Children’s Defense Fund.  The mission of the Children’s Defense Fund is to “ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to adulthood with the health of caring families and communities” (www.childrensdefense.org).   I love the “passage to adulthood” language in this mission statement.  The Children’s Defense Fund is currently recruiting for the position of Director of Research in Washington DC.  The first qualification for this positons is “A demonstrated interest in and commitment to social justice and improving the quality of life for children and families” (www.childrensdefense.org).  Of course having research skills and statistical analysis expertise will be vital to ensure successful outcomes for children and families.  Since best practice is defined by research this will be an honorable job to strive for.
The other job I found interesting is for Voices for America’s Children, which is advocating for an Executive Director for the Children’s Leadership Council.  One of the qualifications for this job includes being a “sophisticated advocate for children” (www.voices.org).  The power behind the skill of sophistication will support this organization’s policy goals, which focus on equity and diversity, health, school readiness, school success, safety, and economic stability for all children and their families.  Of course to be fully successful in this position, the best candidate will have strong communication and collaboration skills, expertise in analyzing and writing policy, and experience working with the United States Congress.
References
Children’s Defense Fund (n.d.).  www.childrensdefense.org
International Step by Step Association: Quality Care and Education for All (n.d.).  www.issa.nl
Voices for America’s Children (n.d.).  www.voices.org

1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten about the step by step organization and the significant work they do! Thank you for this reminder. Also - I think the position of Directors for the Children's Leadership Council would be a great job opportunity. I am sure it would be stressful at times, but also very rewarding!

    ReplyDelete