Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Connections to Play

“Play allows us to develop alternatives to violence and despair; it helps us learn perseverance and gain optimism.”  Stuart Brown MD

This quote is a true reflection of how play affected my childhood.  I was not exposed to violence as a child but my family was in despair quite often.  I had a favorite tree that I would go to at the ‘Tree Park’ located two blocks from my home.  I was able to climb into this tree and pretend I was flying to exotic places and engaging in exciting adventures.  I played with big Maytag appliance boxes, making them into castles and fancy cars.  During the summer months we played outside from the time we woke up until bedtime; riding bikes, playing hide and seek, kick ball or playing red light green light.  During Halloween I would make a haunted house in our apartment with blankets and chairs; as my little brother and his friend crawled through the dark tunnel of blankets they would stick their hand in cooked spaghetti, jello and tomato sauce with me telling them they were feeling a brain, a heart and blood. This play supported resiliency and adaptability as my family experienced despair throughout my childhood.

“If you want to be creative, stay in part a child, with the creativity and invention that characterizes children before they are deformed by adult society.”  Jean Piaget


 As a teenager I was provided an opportunity to work in Glacier National Park where my uncle was the facilities engineer for the big hotel and cabins.  During my three summers of working there, I did engage in many exotic adventures; hiking up mountains and to glaciers deep in the mountains, canoeing and swimming in clear, clean lakes, and horseback riding.  My aunt and uncle always made sure I had food in my backpack, bug spray, blanket, first aid kit, bells to keep the bears away and extra socks in case my feet got wet.  It is these experiences that kept me optimistic through different life struggles through my teenage and adult years.

             

Play for children today is different than it was 40-50 years ago.  We did not have cable television with Disney or Nickelodeon.  Going to a movie theatre was a big treat when I was growing up, now there are big screen televisions with high definition to show movies at any time.  Legos and Lincoln logs took the place of video games and playing outside when it is dark is an absolute NO today compared to when I was a child.


The topic of play this week has caused me to look at play in my adult life.  I have an 8-year-old who is very good at keeping me active with play and using my imagination.  I am just not too sure I would be as playful without her in my life.  I also have a 30-year-old who has accused me of being a workaholic so without the 8-year-old to remind me how important play is, I may have spiraled into a depressed workaholic.  Unless this college class saved me from being my own worst enemy and I included play in my life to remain optimistic, adaptable and creative.

3 comments:

  1. It is difficult to understand "play" as an adult. You are right, without the influence of a young child and formal early childhood education, I too may have lost myself in work without any thought to play. I have an eleven and four year old. I am surrounded by play both at home and in my work. I am lucky. Although children's imaginative play is very different today than of our past, play is still alive and I am blessed to understand and be a part of it!
    Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I loved your quotes I think that they really highlight play. Especially the one by Jean Piaget. Play is so different from today. I am delighted to hear that you are playing with your 8 year old. It is so important to do that, I think for some people having children/working with children brings out our inner adult child. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you too are benefiting from this class in the context of keeping play alive in our lives. Sometimes when I know I need to start an assignment, I have learned that when my body is not feeling it, to stop, take a break and do something pleasurable. Then I am 100% ready to take on the work.

    ReplyDelete