Saturday, July 9, 2011

Relationship Reflection

“Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” ~Marcel Proust

I have a reserved personality, my family is small and I am not a social butterfly.  My relationships are few and mighty.   Relationships allow you to multiply your happy times and cut your sorrows in half.  Relationships with family, colleagues and friends are established because of mutual interests.   It is through experiencing these shared interests that allow the relationship to blossom.

My husband and I have created and maintain a nice home for our children.  We enjoy providing a warm and nurturing environment for our children and all their friends.  We have fun riding our bikes and walking the local beaches and beaches in Hawaii.  We have been there to support each other in the deaths of our moms and we have celebrated holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, births, and promotions.

My 30-year-old daughter and I have seen each other in the best of times and the worst of times.  We can talk with each other about anything and everything.  We can tease each other, we laugh at each other’s silliness, share our frustrations and share our daily experiences in life.   We are both in the field of early childhood and share a passion for supporting a foundation of learning for zero to five-year-old children.

The 8-year-old is the light of my life.  We sing silly songs, play Mario brothers on the Wii, exercise, take nice walks, play games, and read.  We also enjoy playing Skeet Ball at the arcade in the mall, and then it is fun to watch her decide what prizes she wants from all the tickets we win.  Making silly faces in front of the camera at the little photo shops in the mall is also a highlight for us.  We also enjoy our quiet times in the rocking chair cuddling; her talking about the daily experiences with me listening and asking questions.

I have a unique role in the field of early childhood.  As a member of the training and technical assistance network my work is with Head Start directors and content area managers.  Establishing relationships with the staff from 34 different programs can at times be challenging because they see me as a federal employee there to find their faults.  Once they learn I was also in their positions relying on my T/TA provider and I am there to support them to be successful in providing quality services for children and families the barriers slowly come down.  Partnerships are established because of mutual interests and our mutual interest is for children to thrive in the classroom and families to thrive in the community.  I try to ask the right questions and then become an active listener.  I am a learner of the dynamics and demographics of Head Start programs in 34 communities which are all made up of unique strengths and challenges; being a learner of each program is the key to establishing partnerships with the staff.

2 comments:

  1. Hello
    Seems like you have a great sense of humor. Most of relationships included laughter. laughter is good you know. I really enjoyed your insight regarding work relationships. Those can be very challenging.But as you said having a mutual interest and learning how to listen seems to bring people together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have the "not a social butterfly" gene in common! I love your comment about your relationships being "few and mighty". Your perspective on being a learner in order to develop relationships at work is invaluable when your position holds so much authority. I commend you for having that insight.
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete